02 February 2024

Keep going by K Weber

The parade goes by the house

that is not my house. Pushing

past this crowd are hundreds

of feet trying to escape one

hour of conversation. Fire

trucks and police light homes

dimly in the daytime. They wave

along with synchronized motor-

cycles, whoops of emergency. I

can’t get off the curb because

I am deteriorating. My calves have

thickened from too much sunlight

and the salt of one breakfast. The

alcoholics I know go jogging

and landscape their yards. I nearly

fall into the first clarinet I see

in the marching band because my

heart has a dizzy signal. I am sober

but the chaos of local politicians

and beauty queens leaves me

sweating sickness. A child drives

an old child-sized replica of a Thunder-

bird. It is baby blue like my anti-

nausea pills. The beat of my city

trudges on with signs and candy

and I am laying on the grass

trying not to die while there are

pores surrounding me that ooze

beer before noon. I long to be

heard but hurt. I settle for being

carried through the rest of my life

on a float made of my own soft

tissue paper.

 

K Weber