20 January 2024

Four Poems by Mark Young

Inappropriate infiltrators

 

The clock on the bedside cabinet

buzzes. I punch it intending to

let the day in; but that seems to

be a faulty command since it's

the walls that disappear to let

a thousand hyenas laughingly

enter. I recognize none of them,

possibly because they're all in

hooded jump-suits with a sim-

ilar monogram embroidered on

the breast pocket. I cannot abide

such conformity so I punch the

clock a second & third time

which turns it into an IED with

sufficient inbuilt delay to allow

me to escape. I shed no tears that

none of the hyenas survive the blast.

 

 

The Perils of Pauline

 

De jure legal, de facto legal, insti-

tutional, socially coded, the genres

in vogue may present as a single

organ disorder, blindingly exclusive

& heteronormative. Common symp-

toms include retinal degeneration

& polydactyly, but that extra digit

doesn’t make you see any better.

 

There’s also orofacial dysmorphism

where the tongue thins out, looks

bald or shiny, becomes tender &

sensitive to spicy foods. Not only

means that singing those genres in

vogue is contraindicated, but also

that any rebates offered on solar

installations are no longer available.

 

 

Episodic tarantulas

 

Then he said, 'Behold now, I am old. I

do not know the day of my death.' On

 

an average day 151,000 people die.

These famous people died in 2023 &

 

nobody noticed. What times we live in

that nobody missed her for more than

 

two years. Nobody I know is known

to have died. Life goes on unnoticed.

 

 

Later that night

 

The chocolate chip cookie's in-

vention was a happy accident.

 

We know this because of small

pieces of text sent to our browser

 

by a website we visited. They said:

“indelible ink is also inedible. Choc-

 

olate will help.” Or maybe it was:

“kick dirt in his face & walk away.”

 

Code can be difficult to decipher,

especially on an empty stomach.