10 June 2024

Slices, by Pravasan Pillay

It's 11.30 a.m. The beginning of autumn. I have been writing for three hours, and it's time for lunch – or, perhaps, a late breakfast depending on how you see it. Lunch today will be a cheese sandwich. This is always my lunch when I'm at home writing, so not much decision-making has happened here.

I remove my headphones, close my notebook and laptop, get up from my desk, and walk the few steps to the kitchen. I take three slices from the sandwich loaf we have on hand, and place them flat on the breadboard – which in Swedish homes often pull out from the kitchen counter.

I grab margarine and cheese – this time it's a widely-available variety called prästost (priest cheese) – from the fridge, and place them on the countertop. I reach over to the drying rack and fish out the cheese slicer and a butter knife from amongst the flatware.
 
I use the butter knife and slicer every day so they never actually reside in any particular kitchen drawer. The rack is their home.

Next, I open the margarine tub and, using the knife, scrape generous curls, which I spread  – to all corners – of the bread slices. With the cheese slicer I plane long, evenly thick pieces from the cheese wedge.
 
It is important for the surface of the cheese wedge to remain level throughout this slicing, and subsequent slicings. In Sweden, a person who slices unevenly from a cheese wedge is looked down upon. The wedge this person has cut from is disparagingly called a “skidbacke” – because it resembles a ski slope.
 
Once the cheese slices have been successfully Tetrised on the bread, I horizontally cut the sandwich. I only cut sandwiches diagonally on special occasions; if I'm requested to; or if the contents of the sandwich warrant it.
 
I return the cheese and margarine to the fridge. I place the sandwiches on a saucer and walk to our sofa, where I read an article on my phone, which I saved from yesterday. It takes me eight minutes to eat my sandwiches, after which I head back to the kitchen, drink a glass of water, and wash the dishes.
 
Lastly, I use the palm of my hand to sweep the breadboard clean of crumbs, deposit them in the garbage can, before pushing the board back into the counter. I then walk to my desk, put my headphones on, open my notebook and laptop, and start writing again.