28 December 2023

Two Poems by Ruth Towne

X-ray of My Skull

Hold still, the room is bone-white, 

                     the radiograph is ready.


Before the first X-ray was made, 

there was a wife. This tradition

is made in her image.

       Before I was anyone’s wife, I was a girl.

Before I was a girl, I was a wave of light. 

I still remember what it is like

        to move through, 

to pass through objects and softer tissues.


What I am doing now is as close

as I have been to that way of movement

because I am telling the truth:

  

           there is you, who I promise myself to,

and there is not you.

I am true to both, both can be true.


My lungs, my heart, these are shadows

on a luminescent screen. My bones are light. 

I have nothing to hide. It is true.

             The first X-ray was of a wife.

She lay her hand between ray and plate.

      And in the faint green light of the screen,

her ring became opaque to the rays. 




Yobi-goe (The Call)


The ocean knows that kind-of silence

she came for. The siren-high view

lures her in. To avoid her disquiet

flooding up, a great hollow breaker,


she came for the siren-high view–

on the coast, ocean foams across rock,

flooding up a great hollow breaker

almost over the balcony’s metal edge.


On the coast, ocean foams across rock.

A rogue wave, a surge urges her off

almost over the balcony’s metal edge.

The undercurrent, the persistent blue, 


a rogue wave, a surge urges her off,

lures her into a void. Her disquiet,

the undercurrent, the persistent blue–

the ocean knows that kind of silence.