01 February 2022

my therapist says i seek relationships with insecure men by Madeline Langan

we seem to have gone off script

let me remind you:

the girl in the elevator with that beanie i’ve seen everywhere asks “what floor?” the doorman tells me to “have a nice day” the cashier at the deli across the street doesn’t say anything actually he just gives me my sandwich with this sort of funny look and a nod my therapist asks “why do you think you do that” taps a pen on his desk peers at me i'm stiff i don't know my friend asks “so what’s all of this about?” gestures vaguely the man on the street asks if i want to buy any roses the woman in front of me in the pharmacy line doesn’t turn around doesn’t ever meet me but i could hear her name and date of birth steal it really if i wanted to i don’t i'm sluggishly slumped drudging my feet forward in this line


(this is when i feel most human)


and you - you say:


            “so i’ve been thinking about, you know,

            how this all started and 

            i’m still really into you

            and everything, like

            i think you’re so cool

but i just don’t think i can

‘do’ exclusivity

right now

i swear to god i wasn’t, like,

trying to lead you on

or anything

and, um, that’s why i’m being honest

even if, you know,

the timing seems bad,

and”

if this is the case,

why do i still feel your hand on my waist

(this is when i feel least human)